Tracey With An E

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

We are all made of stars

Sometimes I feel as if there is no one who truly understands me. I suppose that is one reason why I have this blog.

Today I was at a track meet with some kids from my school. I was standing in the rain, traveling from the shot-put to the track and back again. At one point I was able to take a break from measuring shot-put throws, and I caught a relay running race that had 3 girls from my class in it.

I watched Zoe start the race, her running gait familiar to me from seeing her put on the turbo speed on the soccer field in P.E. She had these streaming braids in her hair at the back, seemingly out of place compared to her usual quick ponytail. I could tell how badly she wanted to win by the urgency stressed into every muscle as she ran.

She passed the baton to Helen, who ran in a long-legged flash, and she passed it to a girl not in my class, who passed it to Melissa. I watched Melissa, usually so quiet and reserved, sprint like a young hellian to the finish line. Her long dark hair was crazy flying behind her and the look on her face was a mixture of pain and elation. She came in first at the finish line, half a stride ahead of the girl behind her.

Unexpectedly, I realized I was crying. I just loved watching them run. I was so proud of these girls, and I didn't want them to see my tears, so I swiped at my face impatiently. Then I cheered for them and high-fived them as they entered the bleachers.

I felt as if I was the only one crying. And tonight, as I mark a Social Studies assignment and listen to Moby, I feel very alone. "We are all made of stars," he's singing.

2 Comments:

  • Yup, I'm fine. Just being mellowdramatic.

    By Blogger Tracey, at 8:26 PM  

  • Just reading this made me want to cry. The poignancy of it.

    Pam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home