Tracey With An E

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Teacher Rant

What, you think I'm doing this for the money? I don't know any teachers who are in it for money. Most of them just like teaching, or they like kids.

So some teachers say, at least pay us what we're worth. How often do other people get a pay raise? I can't remember the last time I had one. It was quite a few years ago. But I don't really care that much. I just want to make my mortgage payments.

Oh, so what would be an effective way to teach kids? Hmmm.....you want them to learn how to cooperatively solve problems in a socially respectable way? Then you'd want smaller class sizes in order to do that. So, why not ask teachers?

No, wait, how about, ask a politician who hasn't been in a classroom for decades.

Do you really think I am so selfish that I'd actually want to go on strike? NO. I just think teachers should have the right to negotiate on behalf of the students they teach.

Now, if we really want our education system to help change the bullying problems, to groom young people into the computer-savvy techno communication jobs, to create strong leaders and team-players, then we have got to invest in it. If we "simply do not have the funds to support what the teachers are asking for," then no problem. Go back to the 1960's and 70's with 40 kids in a room all doing the same worksheet and rote memorization.

You get what you pay for. What, you never heard that one before?

Don't believe everything the media says....they clip off half a sentence here and there.

Ask a teacher.

(I'm so glad that Christy Clark is not allowed to run for Vancouver mayor. What a relief.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home